Listening to I'll BE GONE Spectrum 1971
Iconic Hippie song with killer harmonica hook
You Tube the clip..oh yeeeh
Wandering the roads in double denim
A mini moke full of young ladies (PC correct term for sheilas)
S000 uncool it's cool!
Complicating a simple plan...my forte!
A killer cold breeze blows up Currie street. F!@ck I hate the cold...it's mid May, dark by 5.30, and now the cold has come...humph. The 545X artic bus pulls in, I grab the new tyre for the DR at my feet, hoist my backpack full of sprockets and bearings and dive in the rear door. I settle in the seat just behind the door, jam the tyre in front of my knees, pile my bag of junk on top of it and close my eyes for a snooze. Fellow passengers file past noticing the same old guy who seems to be taking a whole motorcycle home on the bus, piece by piece. Hmm..yep... new tyres and other stuff for the old DR650...my old Precious. The same bike that took me round the world in 2014, which is pretty much buggered, and has been my dogsbody backup bike ever since as it's not worth selling.
...AAah crap...how did I get here?
Life tip #1...don't let dreamers plan stuff!
Sooo, I have more than one motorcycle...maybe several...maybe more than some wives might be comfortable with...anyway, one is a rather large adventure bike a 1000cc Honda Africa Twin. It's a flashish modern thing and is enormous and heavy. One sees clever people on youtube doing all sorts of skillful things on them off road buut not me. I might be a chicken or I might be finally learning from that fracture list in the righthand column, but this thing weighs three times my weight, has ninety odd horsepower, and is a scary thing in tight off road situations. When riding it off road I don't really control it as much as carefully guide it about feeling clever that I'm still upright and haven't had to organise a crane to pick it up. Hmm, it makes a beautiful exhaust note though and is a joy on good roads.
So, plan A) Ride the Honda round Australia sticking to nice roads.
Hmm, at least gotta get to the tip of Cape York, maybe the Savannah way and Gibb River road. If/when...no...no ifs, when I crash up there I'm gonna need help to pick it up off me. Six weeks before leaving time I realise I'm going my own again, the Honda's tank is kinda small, too small, it needs some luggage stuff, some crash bars, I don't really want to scratch it, and bashing the big lump through sand and rivers with no margin for failure on my own doesn't sound like fun...
...I like fun and I, well, need really big margins...so OK...new plan.
So plan B) Buy a small bike and fit it out in the five or so weeks left.
| Aaaarm what else have I got...oh no...please |
...aaaaargh now what...
Hmm...well...
There's an old bike in the corner of the shed, it has a huge tank, racks, and certainly owes me
| Mechanical archeological dig. Last exhumed in 2014...probably should be left unmolested... |
"how much, really, that much...oh crap when did that happen?". Ooooh dear...do I have time for this...or do I really wanna do this?
Ah cut the bullshit Deano, you've now got no choice.
So plan C) Apply CPR to old Precious the DR650
and learn to ride with my fingers crossed.
Aaaah three weeks to go, a worn out bike and
I'm just not keen. The weather has turned cold,
| Aaaha the best motorcycle movie ever, right here on my VHS player...wonder if the elephant's seen it. |
and it's getting dark early. Stupid lazy optimism that an easier solution will magically appear cons me into laying on the lounge and keeping warm like a normal person. I really should be addressing the rather large elephant watching telly in the room with me...buuut instead I befriend him and we eat peanuts together. Humph...I force myself to make lists and then I lose them. I start stripping the bike but my heart's not in it and days slip by. I toss and turn all night condemning my stupidity and searching for that magic solution but when I
wake...that elephant's still in the room asleep on
the couch.
Aaaaaaaaaaargh.
Is it adventurous or stupid to take an old worn out bike 20,000k across some of the world's roughest and remotest roads?
Well, I guess I'm gonna find out...
Old Man Arms
Skin gone to wax paper
sun spots and scars
hard living under the sun
crafted my old fathers arms
Now I'm gettin on a bit
more behind me than ahead
the old man's been long gone
life's hammering me instead
Scars from broken bones
saw cuts, crashes and drips
the sun's etched its mottled tattoo
on skin exposed to lifes trip
So here they are a part of me
pushin the wrong side of sixty
my own worn out old man arms
tellin my tale of age and history
Dean
The Phone Thing
OK I don't own a phone. Uhu. It's no special stand against technology or anything I just...never got round to getting one. Not sure if I'd have life space for one...I'm always late now...and cos I've got a conscience I'd always be answering it just to be polite. Hmm...the whole world's in there though, I could sell my bikes, lay on the lounge and safely google myself to do anything or go anywhere. Naaaar wouldn't work. I do like looking at and soaking up real stuff even when it bites me. Plus I'm a particularly clumsy bastard. I drop things, lose things, scratch things and fall off things a lot. I'm sure if I did have one I'd lose it in an hour...after I'd sat on it or dropped it out a car window or under a bus or something.
Flipside of this is I find them absolutely amazing devices...
| Behold...the world. in a tiny box. |
Get to the point Deano
Ok...Marianne has thrust one of her old phones at me and apparently it's going to accompany me just for this trip. Well Ok, yep, I'm thinking offline Mapsme, Ioverlander and lots of music woohoo...aaand she's thinking a real phone number, that rings, and something else called texting...hmm
...hmm, I wonder if she knows what an amazing device these things are...
Listening to SOMEBODY THAT I USED TO KNOW Gotye
Weird cool Ozzy song that samples stuff
and apparently has nine notes from Baa Baa
blacksheep somewhere in it. Huh? Anyway a
top song that ain't rock, and aint country...
it's...eeerm...really good!
Reality Check
| Deano mate...go to bed so I can hump my blanket. Oh Oh, I must be really stuffed...the dog's talking to me...wonder if he's got a phone? |
Its Monday night. I still haven't left and I'm on a bit of a downer. I've spent every spare minute for the last two weeks on the spanners after work and I'm totally stuffed (tired that is...not the victim of a crazed taxidermist). Suspension, carby, clutch, sprockets, tyres, electrical, racks, all fluids. More a high speed restoration than prep for a trip. The more I prod the problems the more they bite me, and leak on me, and break on me, and cost me...you get the picture...and the more despondent I get. Comfort food, Kit Kats, Allsorts, biscuits, chockies, anything sweet I can lay my hands on aren't cheering me up and just give me bad wind. Aaaaah wrong choice Deano. Right backup plan in place...if it shits itself I'll work my way through my shed stock. First the Honda, then when that shits itself I'll grab the Yamaha, then the z900, then the Benelli (might have to pop the engine back in), oh and then the CB650 laying up the side of the house I got for free...hmm maybe not that one. Anyway, I finally started the DR today and, well, it sounded Ok. It putted away sounding...exactly like before I started fixing it. Hmm. Well time to throw some socks and jocks in a bag, make a list of things to forget and head off...
...waaaait just a couple more things to fix first...
NEXT BLOG
HOPEFULLY FINALLY ON THE ROAD.
LET'S GET THAT ODOMETER TICKING OVER AGAIN.
GOTTA CHEER UP, AND START SEEING STUFF AGAIN.
HOPEFULLY MY TINY TENT STILL WORKS...
...AS WINTER IS COMING!
Thanks folks for your comments, I know the process
is kinda clunky but hang in there and bang em through
Cheers Deano
LAP UNDER THE SUN

Hi Dean, hope you got away ok. Quick update for you...Connor is not cleaning the coffee machine! Have fun!
ReplyDeleteThought that was your Colonel Light impression at the top of the page! Onwards and upwards as they say, hopefully the bike holds together?! Sean
ReplyDeleteOnya Deano! The adventure begins! Now your on road you can just enjoy the ride! No use worrying about choices and what ifs! Have fun! Good luck and safe travels! "The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain"
ReplyDeleteRegards,
Daryl and Sally
Mate hope all going well and nothing has fallen off (it would have if it was my bike) Hopefully you've missed the wet. Safe journeys mate Paul and Bec
ReplyDeleteSorry I missed you before you left mate, hopefully I'll catch you up in the Pilbara!All the best, you'll have a ball!
ReplyDelete